PDA

View Full Version : New guy introduction

BA.
07-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Just dropping a note to introduce myself and show what I've picked up.
My name is Allan and I'm 46, located in southwest Ohio. I've been a network engineer all my life which affords the car hobby pretty well. :)
I'm mostly familiar with the 60's-70's musclecars so this 59 retractable is all new to me, and it looks like things were done a little differently in some areas.

I have too many projects to do this one up completely but the motor is rebuilt (292cid, 2-speed) so should just have to ensure clean leaded gas and check/bleed the brakes. She also needs new tires. (I'm thinking of 235/15" wide white-walls at each corner)

The car is a life-long local car and has 115,000 miles on it. It has the original owners manual and the *original* Dealer Memorandum Title with original buyers name and $3300 price.
The floors and trunk are decent but there are the typical spots where you can put your fingers or hand through. They all were solid enough to hold me up while cleaning the dust/grime out though. Mice aite the seats of course. Door panels are fair-good. Dash is badly cracked. Needs a cover.

The top doesn't fully work. The trunk lid can be made to go up/down with a 2nd person holding some button on the passenger side of the lid. I don't think the roof actually moves though. I haven't been able to fully check it out yet, I see a disconnected wire or two and I think the little motor that operates the rear deck 'close out panel' is bad, or maybe that's the bad wire.

I had headlights and tail lights, but no turn signals. :(

The body panels look very original and the frame all looks decent as well. It seems that it may not have ever been in any bad accidents. It *may* have been repainted, but if they did change it from white to black, they did a really thorough job.

I hope to meet up with some other southwest Ohio retractable owners. I know I've seen at least 2 at local car shows in the past years.

Also looking for a good Appraiser, so if you know of any, please let me know.

BA.
07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Here is the data plate...

http://www.media-swap.com/59 Ford Galaxie data plate2.jpg

smcwilliams
08-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Sounds like you have a project. Welcome to the flip top club.