PDA

View Full Version : 58 with Ford "Aire Suspension" option up and running

Dave Owens
06-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Although still missing windows, seats, hood, trim, etc I did get my 58 with factory "Aire Suspension" option out for a couple of test rides.

It is a complicated system with a belt driven compressor, air tank, pressure regulator, soleniod valve, 3 mechanically controlled air leveling valves, check valves, high and low pressure lines, linkages and more. After a few adjustements of the valve linkages the car was sitting level and automatically adjusting for the weight of the top being up or down.

The system is factory correct with exception of the Firestone 9000 series air bags. Fewer than 20 were built and club members still have 6 of these cars. This car just may be the only currently "functional" air suspension retractable that exists.

WILLS RESTORATIONS
06-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Looks awsome dave! Can't wait to see it in person.
Bill

Dave Owens
12-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Due to fish biting then hunting season after the few sorting drives last summer the project was put on hold. Now with winter in full swing I'm back to the project. After many, many hours of straightening and polishing the trim is on the car. Roof still needs some more adjusting before the interior ( collecting dust in a spare bedroom ) can go in but that is on the agenda for the Christmas break.