PDA

View Full Version : orginal paint or ?

jhubbell
02-03-2013, 01:44 PM
I reciently bought a 1957 skyliner... my question is this... everyting on the car is orginal, except the color. To make it orginal would involve repainting the car inside and out.. new upholstery etc. My question is how will it effect the resale value of the car not having it in the orginal color?

Dave Owens
02-06-2013, 09:20 PM
It is generally best to keep classic / collector cars as original as possible. If your paint and interior are in good presentable condition in a period correct color and scheme a redo could be tough to justify. The cost to do a complete change could approach or even exceed 25% of the value of the car. There are always exceptions though. If an original car is for example pea green a repaint to a popular color like red may improve its value.

goob
02-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Is the non-original color factory applied or is it a repaint/color change? Some early cars were painted at the factory in colors not matching the data tags. Ben Smith's book states this was done if certain colors were not readily available, a decision made by the resident engineer.

Gary.

jhubbell
02-28-2013, 01:17 PM
that's a mystery it looks like it was originally painted that color... but I will look more closely and see if I can find evidence of a repaint. it was one of the early ones as it is missing the roof side script and the color seems to be a 1956 Mandarin so maybe that explains it ... but the color code says it was black so I would think that would be a paint that would be readily available

maithly
12-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Also the clips seem too short for the width of the trim. They snap in but are loose. Are there other clips for the trim? The ones used when I took the trim off had a spring like piece to hold the trim and the attaching part was a round, bullet shaped spring clip. Any body have a solution?