PDA

View Full Version : top actting up again, HELP!

wah2oo
12-21-2012, 12:12 PM
My top has been working great the last month until yesterday. I have been replacing and shimming the weather strips on the side of the top. I raise the top a little to work then lock it down to check the fit. I run the engine each time I activate the top. The starter motor did not disengage the last time I started so I close it down and tried again when the starter did disengage . I then found that the top would not raise but would retract. My next move I regret. I decided to put the top all the way down and close the lid and see if it would work when I started a full cycle of the top. Well, the lid opened fine and I heard the relay click but no top movement or motor sound. I thought I can fix that by using my old trick of by passing the relay. NO response, not even the spark I usually get when I have used this method to move the top.
Now I have two problems, 1) why does the top motor work with retract but not erect and only thing needed to run it seems to be an intact wire from the bypassed relay to the motor. I did nothing around the top motor or the wiring in general for weeks 2) How do I get the top out of the trunk to check motor, wiring and ground? No help in the manual.

Help Dale

wah2oo
12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I reread the big shop manual and found how to open the top. I am waiting for help to get it all the way up. Still need suggestions on what to check.

Dale

wah2oo
12-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I have it fixed. When I got into the tire well one wire to the motor had come loose. The wires had some add on connections from times before I owned the car and one had worked apart. All is working just right. Sorry for the panic call!

Dale