PDA

View Full Version : Suspension for a 59 Skyliner

Finster
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi All,
I have a 1959 Skyliner and I need help with the suspension. About 4 years ago I replaced the leaf springs with Eaton springs and the shocks with KYB shocks. My car is starting to sit low in the back after ony 4 years and its quite surprising. I thought I would be good for 10 years after that work. I don't drive the car a lot and I don't have many people in the back of it. Any suggestions regarding what I can do to give the rear a little lift? Should I upgrade the shocks to something more heavy duty?
Thanks in advance.

goob
06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
As with most anything, springs will sag with age. I would suggest adding an extra leaf to the springs. If you just have them re-arched, they will sag again. Heavier shocks won't help the ride height at all, they'll just stiffen the ride. Air shocks, a quality pair, will also help with achieving a level ride height. Both of my Skyliners, '58 &'59, sag a bit when the top is down, but I like tail draggers! Hope this helps a bit.

Gary.

Finster
06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Is there a rule of thumb as far as measurement goes for the distance from teh fender skirt to the floor or the top of the wheel well to the floor?
Thanks

goob
06-25-2012, 02:30 PM
My '59 is 18 1/2 " from the floor to the bottom edge of the wheel opening mldg. at the center of the hubcap. Perhaps a service manual or similar type of publication would give measurements, I don't have a manual for the '59.

Gary.

WILLS RESTORATIONS
06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
On 2 different cars, i added extra leaves into the rear springs. The more you add, the more it lifts the car. Additional to the leaves, you need to use longer u-bolts and centering bolts. The cars immediately sat much higher, then over several months, settled. With the top up, they are slightly higher in rear than front, top down they ride level. I try not to use air shocks as they move the load from the spring shackles to the shock mounts. Hope this helps.
Bill