PDA

View Full Version : No Brake lights

59fairlane
06-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi, I just got my '59 back from extensive restoration & when I took it out for a spin I realized that I had no signal lights, so I checked & found no brake lights either. When the lights are on I have headlights, back up lights & tail lights.
My restorer is 450 miles away. Any suggestions??

Thanks, Bob.

WILLS RESTORATIONS
06-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Hi bob,
do the turn signals work on the front? If not, check the turn signal switch wiring at the bottom of the steering column. One or many of those may be unplugged. They are color coded so reconnecting is fairly simple. Since the brake lights work the t.s. Switch, this may be the problem with both. If this does not fix the problem, let me know & we can go farther. Good luck,
bill

59fairlane
06-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks Bill,
The parking lights work at the front, but no signal lights. I checked the brake switch, flasher, tail light connections, & fuses, all are ok. I took the steering wheel off & removed the screws holding the lever & signal light switch. I'm waiting for a replacement to arrive, then I'm going to have to figure out how to remove & replace it!
I'll probably need help with that.
Thanks for your help,
Bob.

WILLS RESTORATIONS
06-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Hi bob,
before you replace the switch, check the ground to both tail-lamp assy's. Run a jumper from the bulb socket to a known good ground. It is a common problem on 59's that the socket looses ground thru the alum. Pie-plate. On several cars i have had to solder a ground wire to the socket then run to body ground. Let me know what happens,
bill

59fairlane
06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks again,
I'll give it a shot & let you know, probably tomorrow
Bob.

59fairlane
06-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi Bill,
I thought I should let you know.... We went through every wire & connection & tested the switch. Power was everywhere. We were stumped until my son suggested checking the bulbs. It turned out that 1154 bulbs had been used instead of 1157. I had a couple of old 1157's here & tried them & voila, everything worked!
All that work, when we should have checked for correct bulbs first.
I still can't figure out why 1154's don't work, but as long as I have brake & signal lights, I DON'T CARE!!

Thanks for your help & concern,
Bob.

WILLS RESTORATIONS
06-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi bob,
glad it turned out to be simple & inexpensive! Good luck.
Bill

scott59
05-30-2013, 08:05 PM
just for info 1154's are 6v and probably blew 1st time they were tried.the original bulb # back in the day was 1034 and was then replaced with 1157's . you can also use newer 2057's that have more candle power if you want a little briter.