PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Skyliner rear body panel

goob
10-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone - This is my first post on this forum and already I'm asking for help! I'm restoring a '58 with a rear body panel that was once "repaired" by Godzilla, using a baseball bat and a chain saw. Once I stripped off the color coat, I found the inch thick body filler. I've been all over the internet looking for pictures of this panel with limited success, as I would like to find out the exact contour of the panel. Could someone post a good, clear photo of the rear end or point me in the right direction to locate reference material on the '58? I've been restoring cars for over 40 years. I've had a '58 hardtop and wagon and have a '59 Skyliner in the collection, but none of that helps with the '58 Skyliner! Is anyone making rear body panels for the '58? Well, thanks for reading this, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Gary (in "beautiful" central NY)

WILLS RESTORATIONS
10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi gary,
are we talking about the actual back of the body? Where the taillights mount? If so, i have a panel i removed from a 58 parts car. It has rot in the bottom but is straight. Let me know.
Bill

goob
10-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi Bill - Thanks for responding. It is that panel. It's been hit 2 or 3 times between the taillights, beaten back and hit again and stretched badly. The car is rust free, a new panel would be great, but I'm hoping someone has a photo or two of that panel (a straight one) which they could share. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I can repair the existing panel, I just would like to know what shape it is supposed to be! Thanks again!

Gary.

Les Gray
10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I have a 58 SKY parts car

The rear panel is straight , & not rusty

I'll part it out , or take photos for you

Later, Les Gray 325-450-7666
Robert Lee, Texas