PDA

View Full Version : Repair or replace a Power steering power cylinder

Mr.Bill
07-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi all I will be needing to do something about the leak coming from my power cylinder . Ive been told replacing the part is usually better than trying to put a kit in. I'm wondering where is the best place to get a cylinder. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bill

Ron B.
07-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Bill,
If the shaft chrome is in good condition it's an easy rebuild. If not buy a new one.
Ron B.

Mr.Bill
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi Again I appreciate the help I get. Iv'e decided to replace my leaking power steering cylinder with a new one. Should the new cylinder be primed with fluid before I install it? Does it matter? Thanks Bill

Harry W
08-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Bill:

After replacing the cylinder and while you are still up on the jackstands, fill the PS pump resevoir and slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. The system will purge the air after several lock-to-lock cycles. Cycle slowlyso as to not foam the oil, and don't let the resevoir get too low. Pre-filling the cylinder will shorten the process. A little fluid in both ends of the cylinder would prevent having the seals sliding in a dry cylinder.