PDA

View Full Version : Installation of stainless & chrome trim

59fairlane
12-11-2010, 11:01 AM
My '59 Skyliner will be painted next week. I bought it as a basket case. It didn't have any stainless or chrome on it when I got it.
I need to know any tips on installing the new & re-pollished stainless & chrome pieces, or if there is a book I can buy or borrow from a library, that shows or explains proper proceedures.
No one around here will touch this job, so I'm it!
Also, not all clips & fasteners are available, so I need to know what can be good substitute clips to have on hand. HELP!!!
Thanks,
Bob.

Dave Owens
12-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I suggest getting a copy of the "1959 Ford Body, Trim & Sealant Assembly Manual" published by Jim Osborn Reproductions. Is is a copy of the actual instructions Ford used to assemble the cars. It lists what goes where, what is used by part number and in what order. All instructions include assembly diagrams. The vendors that advertise in the Skyliner sell most of the hardware needed.

59fairlane
12-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, but, I have the Jim Osborne books. The trim & sealant one for '59, doesn't cover all the trim & although it shows al the fasteners needed, many of them are no longer available & viable substitutes are required. I suppose restoration shops would know what to use. I naively bought this junk yard candidate 6 long years ago as a basket case. I've gotten some good help & more bad advice along the way. Anyway the Skyliner can now be called a car. I call the car "Miss Fortune" (Take that any way you want). Over the years she has been re-bodied on a rotisserie, 332 motor rebuilt as well as the transmission, P/S, power disc brakes. A new ABC interior, www radials, & all chrome, trim, & ornaments replaced or refinished. Now it's time to put it together, & since I didn't take it apart, there is going to be a lot of trial & error, (& colorful language) to Git R Done!
Thanks to you guys for putting this forum together!
Maybe in the future I will be able to help some other poor soul avoid the mistakes, (& there are many), that I made.
In the new year I'm sending the car to Bill Nolan, to adjust the roof etc. He may be doing more on the car than we both had planned.
I just cannot find anyone here (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.) who knows anything about these cars.

Thanks again
Bob.

WILLS RESTORATIONS
01-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Bob,
for the trim clips, in many cases i have used t-bolts. They are a generic (old school) trim clip that is still available at napa. I hope this helps.
Bill

59fairlane
02-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks Bill,
I'll go to napa & give it a shot. Appreciate the help.
Bob.

fliptop58
02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Bob, some of these clips can be found on Ebay from time to time, or try to pull up aaveco's web site, or pull up Restoration specialties web site and order there catalogue, if they don't have it, you won't find it. In some area's you can use the universal clip's and as previously post'ed, the t-bolt clip works well also. Good luck!

Ted
03-03-2011, 07:09 PM
I bought a near basket case 5 years ago and removed all the stainless mouldings and old clips thereafter. I have found all the clips reproduction from Mac's Antique Auto and Concours in Las Vegas EXCEPT the ones for the deck lid stainless. Those were only missing two and I made some substitutes myself. I haven't installed any of them yet, though, waiting for paint. Hope that helps.