PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Trim?

skylinerman58
03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
My Friend Gene is putting the stainless trim on the rear of his 57 it is the piece that separates the color's. His car was solid white & he has painted it red & white. My question is which way doe's the trim go? The wider part up? @ the end's the longer part up or down? There are no hole's for the fastener's either. How many should there be? Thank's Gregg...

fliptop58
03-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Gregg, a very good question! To often I see these paint divider strips put on upside down. The longer part you describe should be up. In other words, hold the molding up to the rear of the car, where each end touch's each vertical body seam. The ends of the molding should curl up. I would use universal clips for the molding, they have threaded studs on the back side, and can be secured with a nut. You should try to make sure the holes are drilled in a location where the studs can be easily reached from inside the trunk. I would fasten the molding to the rear of the car with masking tape, once it's lined up, and use a pensil to scribe a line of the top and bottom edge of the molding onto the car, and then decide where you want your hole's. A lot of the universal clips can be purchased from Aaveco. Look them up online and send for their catalogue, or find restoration specialties.com online and send for there catalogue, they have hundreds of clips. Hope this helps! Gregg