PDA

View Full Version : Under Body Colours

kirky2
02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
kirky2

I am refurbishing my '57 which involves cleaning and repainting lots of items. Presented with the option, I may as well honour the original themes. Would anybody know the correct colours for frame, rear axle, fuel tank and engine compartment components etc. All help welcome. Thanks.

skeehorse
02-17-2011, 11:31 AM
A good source for all that information is the International Ford Retractable Club Restoration Guide The book can be purchased from the club and is only 10$ for members postage incuded. Jim

skeehorse
02-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Here is another good source for parts and info Jerry Miller has a very good site with a lots of pictures might help answer some of your questions. Jim
http://www.jerrysclassiccars.com/

fliptop58
02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Your rear axle housing would have been gloss black, the 3rd member was red oxide primered, the frame was gloss black. The underside of the body was painted with what was called barrel paint. It's nothing more than left over colors mixed together, then under coat over top of that and you've got it. Up front the radiator support, radiator, fender aprons, wind deflectors were all gloss black. If you are using the 312 it's Ford red block and oil pan, intake, water pump, timeing cover, Black valve covers, argent silver air breather. Heater housing, starter, generator, crank case breather were all black.

skymlt
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
The under body color and various sheet metal parts should be satin (semi-gloss) also called chassis black in color not gloss black. I have found that Rustoleum satin black to be the color you are looking for, plus it has rust preventing properties. The third member can be red oxide or satin black. Accesories such as the heater housing and engine accesories are gloss black in color.