PDA

View Full Version : Jack location in a 59

Bill's 59
01-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Hi All,

I have been all over the net, shop manual, owner's manual and Illustrations catalog looking for a picture showing the jack location for a 1959. I found one for a '57 but that does not help. I'm told the 1958 and 1959 had the same jack location. In any event can someone help me with where I can find a picture? I've been all over the trunk and am completely frustrated! I'll probably kick myself when I see it. :)

Thanks,

Bill A

P.S. Just got my 59 a month ago.

skeehorse
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Bill,

I don't have a picture but would be glad to take a picture of my car when the weather warms up in Minnesota. I assume your talking about a Skyliner, I did find in the book "Ford Retractables, 57 through 59 Photo Facts" written by Jerry H. Magayne, on page 68 there is a picture of the trunk compartment and this statement is made, "Trunk compartments were carried over from 1958. The jack was still stowed in the left rear fender, beneath the flap to the rear of the left wheel well." I believe the decal for the jack placement shows the siloheutte of a 57' body style, and I believe this is correct for the 59' model year. Hope that helps, let me know if you need a picture, Jim

Bill's 59
02-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I don't have a jack as I can't find anything in that area. It mystifies me how the jack is supposed to fit. Hard to believe that you have to remove the cardboard /burtex cover with its fasteners to get to the jack! Also I don't see anything to keep it from rattling around. Now some amateur bodywork has been done in that area in the past. Maybe something was destroyed in the process?

I don't have that book, so when things defrost in Minnesota, I'd appreciate a picture. We're supposed to get freezing rain and snow tonight. Wish it would warm up so I can work on the car!

Thanks gain,

Bill

fliptop58
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
The cardboard cover does not have to be removed, you lift the burtex flap that is stiched to the cardboard cover to gain access to the jack. I have a 58 jack witch is very simmiler to the 59, if you need to know what it should look like. You might want to get in touch with Larry Salo, he's a club member. He's an authority on bumper jacks!