PDA

View Full Version : Seeking battery info.

TonyC
01-28-2011, 07:12 AM
So good to have this forum! I need a battery for my '57 Skyliner. I've heard to get one with the most cold cranking amps. The guy at NAPA Auto parts tells me to get a marine battery because they have more "staying power." I don't care about authenticity. I do care about a powerful battery that fits in the battery tray. I would really appreciate any recommendations from experienced Skyliner owners with the battery brand and number.

The battery that came with the car & barely fit in the tray is AC Delco Voyager, 550 CCA, 720 MCA (whatever that means) and the #M27MF. The car has an alternator.

Thanks in advance!

Tony C in New Braunfels, TX Member IFRC
'57 Skyliner, PS, PB, Auto trans, continental kit, front V bar w/wing guards (My son says I "pimped" it out.:cool:)

Dave Owens
01-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Tony,

There are 2 important numbers when choosing a battery. CCA or cold cranking amps and reserve capacity. CCA is the amount of amps the battery will deliver for 30 seconds at 32 deg F. Reserve capacity is the time the battery can deliver 25 amps at 80F. Since you may be raising or lowering the roof without the engine running from time to time a battery with a high reserve capacity is recommended. The higher the numbers the more the battery will cost. If your car has the stock battery tray I believe a group 29 is the largest that will fit.

Dave 0.

WILLS RESTORATIONS
01-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Tony,
the group 27f you currently have is the physically largest battery that fits in the tray. It is the longest and widest. The group 27 is standard and the group 29 is the factory heavy duty. Any of these will physically work. Just make sure you get one with a cca of over 500. The higher the better. That fact that your car has already been converted to an alternator is great for driveability and reliability. Good luck.
Bill

Ron B.
03-14-2011, 11:30 PM
That is backwards, 29 was the std battery in 57, 27 was the h-d. 27's are wider and won't drop into the std battery box. There were 2 battery boxs in 57. The -A box for the 29 and the -B box for the 27. My factory a/c equipped 57 has the -B and I have a NOS one w/the part# stenciled on the bottom. The -B is 1/2" wider on the engine side and is not reproduced.

Lynn B
03-20-2011, 11:20 PM
What are the width measurments of the -A and -B boxes Ron
Lynn Boast

Ron B.
03-24-2011, 01:37 AM
I'll measure the -B in the basement for you. The -A is .5" narrower. They are the same width at the bolt that holds it to the core support nearest the radiator and the -A curves in a couple inches back.
Ron B.

skymlt
04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
The Skyliners used a Group 29NF battery, Here are a few batteries that will fit our cars. Sears-36929, NAPA-7280, Motorcraft-BH-29NF, Interstate-29NF-VHD, Car Quest-29NF40, Exide-29NF40, and Delco-Y65A. The reason for this number is there are commercial applications that use this size battery. Hope this helps.

Harry W
04-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Antique Auto Battery, 2320 Old Mill Road, Hudson, OH 44236, 800-426-7580, has reproduction batteries matching the originals. They are aware of the proper size for Skyliners. That size is wider and hold down frames are not available if your original is not salvageable. When I ordered mine in 2003, the stock number was G27FPP. Shipping was a killer, and it did not last past 4 years. Probably would have lasted longer with a good battery tender.