PDA

View Full Version : Front Top Lock Down Motor

Chuck Pursell
10-04-2022, 10:13 AM
I have an on going self restoration of my 57 Ford Retractable. It has been an interesting, enjoyable, and challenging process with many do overs, trials, and learning along the way. At present I am stymied by not being able to get the front top lock down motor to work. I have followed the top manual trouble shooting process, reviewed the videos by Nick Kellen and nothing has solved the problem of the front motor not getting power? Any suggestions for possible pursuit in solving this problem would be appreciated.

I completely checked my old wiring harness that I removed when I started the restoration and re-taped it from top to bottom before reinstalling. I also have another duplicate and connected that one up to see if maybe there was a problem in the installed one that I missed but the same issue existed with either of the harnesses. I have readjusted switches, checked motor, did continuity on circuit breaker - I am out of theories and solutions???

oldave57
10-07-2022, 10:20 AM
The front and rear roof lock motors power circuit should all be powered at the same time, so if your rear roof lock motors are running correctly then the disconnect to the front roof lock motor must be in the circuit from the roof lock solenoid to the front roof lock motor. If none of your lock motors are working then the problem could be in the control circuit to the roof lock solenoid, but if the rear are working I would check for power at the front roof lock motor when the rear motors are working. If there is no power at that time, the problem is in the harness. If there is power but no motor response, then the problem is in the lock motor. For testing, you could just power the control circuit of the roof lock solenoid and then check for power at the front roof lock motor. Another way to test the wiring harness is to check for continuity between the power terminal at the roof lock solenoid to the terminal at the roof lock motor.

Chuck Pursell
10-08-2022, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the reply - I was thinking that was the case with the roof lock motor power circuit and glad to have your confirmation. I will grab a friend and do the power check and if it turns out as I expect will be checking into getting a new wiring harness for the top, something I thought being diligent in saving and checking over the old one I could avoid and save that expense. :) Guessing not :(

Again thanks for your reply and insight - much appreciated!!