PDA

View Full Version : 59 top wont lift up and back

Robert M
07-18-2021, 07:41 PM
Last Friday and Saturday I helped a friend try to get his newly acquired 59 top working. I have done quite a bit of work on my 58 so thought I knew it well but I have a puzzling problem. The bushings were really bad so we put in new ones I got from Wayne Rollins. I had noticed before that the lift arms did not go as far forward as the ones in my 58 but now after the new bushings, it seems even farther from being all the way forward. As a result, it will not lift the top and start to move it back because, I believe the geometry is off because of it not going far enough forward before it starts to retract.
I followed the instructions on adjusting the top as described in Volume #2 of the video set so I guess I will go through that again. Have any of you had this situation before and if so, what was the problem? Thanks in advance.

droptopford
07-19-2021, 08:09 PM
As a result, it will not lift the top and start to move it back because, I believe the geometry is off because of it not going far enough forward before it starts to retract.

I don't know anything about the roof moving forward before it starts to retract.

The way I understand it (during the retract cycle), once the package tray has extended, current goes to the lock/unlock motors that drive the 4 lock screws. Their rotation lifts the top off of the front header and rear quarter sections. Once all 4 switches (2 header and 2 quarter) have been activated by the raising of the unlock screws, the roof motor takes over to move the roof rearward.

If your roof isn't retracting at all, not even unlocking, you might want to check that you're getting current to the lock/unlock motors after the package tray extends.

I have just a rudimentary knowledge of this system. If you have been in contact with Wayne R, you might ask him. If anyone has an answer, he does.