PDA

View Full Version : Apparent dead spot on tray motor - repair or replace?

johnhrich
11-13-2020, 01:31 PM
I have an apparent dead spot on my '59 tray motor. I have checked the switches and get power and continuity. If I remove the motor and rotate the shaft it will start working again, but stops and won't move once locked in a position. I test with direct power to the motor, and no movement, until I remove and rotate the shaft.

There appear to be positions on the sides (it's original 1958 construction from the printing) for bushing caps - but there aren't screw in slots or a lip to remove. 1. are these actually bushing caps and 2. if so can they be removed?

Can I simply disassemble the motor with the two long bolts that appear to run from end to end?
Are there replacement motors? and if not what other options do you recommend.

Thanks for your help!

johnhrich
11-13-2020, 06:17 PM
Ok, I was able to find motor repair in the videos - so that's my next activity. Should there be an issue where the video recommends 'replace' vs repair, do we have an options? thx

johnhrich
11-14-2020, 02:43 PM
appears to be fixed. disassembled and wasn't able to find any faults. the commutator on the armature was badly discolored from brush usage and there was a lot of dust between the segments. cleaned, tested and checked per the video. reinstalled and tested a few times. easy fix after all - except for getting one of the brushes back into place and stay while trying to re-insert the armature.