PDA

View Full Version : Top on 59 will not retract fully.

johnhrich
06-30-2020, 03:49 PM
This is a new 59 for me. I bought with an untested top so am working blind here on it's history. I attempted to fully retract today and at first the top would not lift (the screws front and rear on the top worked fine). Then I realized that the previous owner had indicated there was a 'booster button' installed next to the switch. Using that I was able to get the top to lift and retract. However, once it got about a foot from the pads it simply stopped retracting. No clicking or other noise indicating continued attempt to retract. I did not, intentionally, "assist" retraction manually until I got a chance to talk with you all. I'm not sure whether it could be the roof retract limit switch (which my manuals do not explain exactly where that is) or some other issue like binding etc. I wanted to get some input on the next steps to see where the problem could potentially be and what suggestions on resolution. Thanks in advance for you all's assist. John
BTW, I was able to get the roof to go back in the place and the rear deck to close by simply reversing the switch direction. that worked ok.

johnhrich
07-01-2020, 12:55 PM
I thought at first that it was binding on the retraction guides, so I removed them and decades of dried grease... But no.
I was improperly adjusted retraction worm gear rods. I slipped up the plastic covers and was able to see that one side bottomed out - simply stopping the worm gear. I moved them up and it went down. Now I just need to find instructions for adjusting them properly for both ends of travel.
thanks for looking.

droptopford
07-02-2020, 08:13 AM
Glad you were able to figure it out on your own. Sometimes the 'help' responses are a little slow here.

I think the adjustment instructions you're looking for can be found (somewhere?) in these Nick Keilen videos:
http://www.skyliner.org/forums/showthread.php?1447-Nick-Keilen%92s-Operation-and-Maintenance-Videos

Good luck!