PDA

View Full Version : roof lift jack dust cover replacement

Mike V
04-28-2020, 01:10 PM
I have new dust covers and bushings for the roof lift jacks. I have the jacks off the car but I am not sure how to separate the parts since the covers will not pass over either end. I can't find anything in the manual that explains this procedure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

oldave57
04-29-2020, 08:46 AM
I replaced the dust covers on my 57 Skyliner last spring and found the same issue. I ended up just unscrewing the forward end of the jack screw assembly (rotating it until it came off the jack screw threads). I measured the length of the jack screw (mounting holes on either end) before and after the dust cover installation. You can also re-check the length when you re-install the jack screws (might have to rotate the parts a bit to re-align the pins on either end). This is a good time to apply white lithium grease (or lubricant of your choice) to the screw threads before you close everything up.

Good Luck,
Dave

Mike V
04-29-2020, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Dave. I tried to unscrew the 2 pieces but the top half stops before it separates from the screw threads. Still trying to figure this one out.

Mike V
04-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Dave, I found the answer. Wayne Rollins explained the basic process in an article in the December 2019 issue of The Skyliner magazine. Thanks for your help.
Mike

oldave57
05-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Hello Mike,

I'm glad you were able to find your answer. I'm curious as to what the article said other than to separate the two halves of the jack screw to install the dust cover. I probably won't be replacing mine again but would like to know what Wayne Rollins' advice is.

Thanks,
Dave

droptopford
05-28-2020, 12:48 PM
Sure would be nice if Mike V would stop back and let us know the Wayne Rollins secret.

Mike V
06-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Sorry for not responding. I don't visit the forum on a regular basis. I scanned the Wayne Rollins article but for the life of me I can't get it to upload here. An equally good source for this is the Nick Keilen videos that can be found on this forum. Volume 2 covers all the adjustments for the top mechanism. The section on the lift jacks is toward the end but the whole thing is worth watching. Hope this helps.

droptopford
06-14-2020, 01:40 PM
I haven't had much luck with the uploading thing here either. Thanks for trying. I'll check out the Keilen videos again and see what I can find out.