PDA

View Full Version : My turn to need help.

zrone90
10-06-2019, 11:34 AM
Went to a car show yesterday and as I was about to leave I went to put the top up. Once the decklid went down It would stop about three inches from being fully closed. When I put the top down the decklid fully locked. I do have the manual but electrically challenged.
Any ideas of where to start would be appreciated. I live in St Augustine Fl. If there are any experts close by. Thanks Dan

oldave57
10-07-2019, 08:15 AM
It sure sounds like the Deck Position "B" switch is a suspect. This switch provides power to the deck close (as well as the deck open) relays during either the retract or erect cycles. This is the switch located on the right (passenger) side just forward of the wheel well and up near the top of the side panel of the trunk.

Does the deck lid still function normally in the retract cycle if you reverse the actuating switch? That circuit also goes through the Position "B" switch. You could try raising the deck lid by retracting and then trying to close it again by reversing to the erect cycle to see if that changes anything. If it stops in the same position, I would take a look at the Deck Position "B" switch to see if there are any signs of problems.

Good Luck,
Dave

zrone90
10-07-2019, 09:36 AM
Thank you, I will check that switch. Manual indicates the use of a special tool to adjust this switch. How would I do that without that tool.................Thanks

oldave57
10-07-2019, 10:01 AM
I would start by checking the continuity across the middle contacts of the switch as you push the switch plunger downward. There should be continuity until you reach the deck close point and then the circuit should open. That would be the first check to see if the switch is operating as it should.

You could check the switch mounting slots to see if there is any indication that the switch has moved downward slightly (wouldn't take much) and also the switch actuator which is a formed sheet metal part that actually contacts the switch plunger to see if it looks like it has bent over 90 degrees which could cause the deck lid to stop (don't know why either of these things would happen but just a check before going further).

droptopford
10-07-2019, 07:50 PM
I don't know enough about the switch configurations to offer any advice. I can only say that some years ago, I had a similar problem and I traced it to the same switch Dave describes above. I think you're on the right track!

Hey zrone90... Were you ever successful in your quest to move your seat further aft for a little more leg room?

zrone90
10-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Checked the deck lid b switch and could find nothing wrong as far as adjustment. Also checked the tab and adjusted to spec. Then checked and reset the package tray switch. Still have the same problem. The deck stops just before the screws touch the base. I can still hear a motor running in the trunk. I will go back and check the continuity of the b switch at the middle contacts tomorrow . Thank you for your input and help

Was never able to figure out a way to move the seat back due to the configuration of the floor.

oldave57
10-08-2019, 07:28 PM
I'm starting to think that the Deck Position "B" switch might not be the culprit after all. The switch operates in the same manner whether the deck is closing for the retract cycle or the erect cycle and it sounds like your deck lid closes okay in the retract cycle.

Another thing to check would be the package tray fold limit switch (unless that was the one you already checked and set). When the roof is retracted, the tray is extended when the deck lid is closing and that seems to work ok, but when the roof is in the erected position, the package tray has to fold and the deck lid doesn't close until the fold limit switch is activated. Would it be possible that the tray is moving slightly when the deck lid is closing in the erect cycle and the fold limit switch is losing contact?

I would suspect that the motor you hear running when the deck stops just short of the lock screws is the lock screw motor which would be running in that position.

Good Luck,
Dave

zrone90
10-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Dave, Thanks for your help, I did reset the package tray switch. The package tray in snug against the lid with no play.