PDA

View Full Version : White pads on backside of deck?

59 Retract
06-24-2019, 08:47 PM
The white foam/rubber pads glued on the backside of the deck are very brittle and not doing the job as I have marks on my top when it is up. I cannot find replacements for these two pads. I was thinking of cutting up an extra pad normally used on the wheel well but thought somebody here would have a better idea. Thoughts?

oldave57
06-25-2019, 07:56 AM
It sounds like you're referring to the insulation on the underside of the deck lid. The original insulation can become hard and lose its adhesion to the lid so it sags enough to contact the roof in the retracted position. I ordered some insulation material from Mac's auto parts (came in a 3' wide roll about 10' long) that has to be cut to match the openings in the deck lid and glued in place. You also have to cut out the original insulation. The hardest part is getting the new material cut to size to fit the openings. I used some thin cardboard as templates to get it close and then trimmed with a razor knife when glueing in place.

59 Retract
06-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Thanks oldave57. However, I am not referring to the insulation between the front and back panels on the inside of the rear deck lid. I am talking about the two white pads that are attached on the left and right sides on inside of the deck lid that are about 2 inches wide and about 5 inches long and maybe 1 inch thick. I believe they are used to protect the roof from the deck lid hitting it when the roof is retracted and the deck lid is in the closed position. I think it is the same material that is glued to the fender wells to protect the flipper but, obviously a very different shape and position. Appreciate the help.

oldave57
06-27-2019, 07:51 AM
On my 57 Skyliner, there are two small pads that are about 3/4" wide by 1 1/4" long that the folded package tray contacts, but I can't see how those pads could contact the roof in the retracted position. I mentioned the insulation because on my car, the original insulation had "sagged" enough to contact the roof and it left some small marks in the paint because the insulation had become brittle. Replacing the insulation with new that was glued flat to the deck lid solved that problem.

59 Retract
06-27-2019, 08:55 AM
The two white pads I am talking about are half round in shape, about an inch wide by about 4 inches long and are on the left and right sides of the flipper. Glued in place near the back edge of the flipper. When the top is in the trunk, these pads keep the flipper from rubbing against the roof. Thanks

oldave57
06-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Well, I have to admit that I have now seen photos of the pads that are attached to the rear underside of the package tray. My car does not have these pads, and I have seen many photos of cars that do not have the pads as well, but it does appear that those pads were at some time part of the installation. I think that the top clears the package tray in the stored position (or vice versa), at least on my car.

Jerry's Classic Cars has quite an inventory of Skyliner parts, but searching their catalog I can't find the pads for the bottom of the package tray. I did get two of their top cradle pads (that glue to the wheel well) and they do seem to be the type of foam that would work for the package tray also if you could replicate the section and glue them into position.

Good Luck,
Dave

oldave57
07-05-2019, 03:12 PM
As a follow up to the earlier information on the pads that attach to the bottom side of the package tray and act to protect the roof top when the roof is stowed (retracted) in the trunk, I found that Macs Auto Parts has this part (their part number B7A-5153942-PR) at a cost of $9.49. I plan to order these pads since my 57 Skyliner did not have these pads.