PDA

View Full Version : Body (aluminum) side panel trim application

Lee
04-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone! I'm about 90% complete with new sheet metal and paint on my '59 and was hoping someone out there would share some experience regarding the application of the side trim panels that go on prior to the body moldings. When I removed the originals they appeared to be attached with thick glue or some sort of linoleum adhesive. Any advice??
Also, this same question applies to the assembly of new rear quarter washboard pieces.
As always, thanks for sharing!
Lee

Lee
04-28-2019, 10:35 PM
No one is answering my question so I my description must be misleading. There are three of these corrugated aluminum trim panels on each side of the car..one on the front fender, continuing with one on the door, and finishing with the third on the forward part of the rear quarter. Then they are framed with the stainless moldings. I'm looking for tips on how to attach them prior to putting on the moldings. What's the process? Please, please, please...

droptopford
04-29-2019, 09:22 AM
Lee, Unfortunately this is not a super active forum. Some of these guys, even the ones with lots of knowledge don't log on very often I'm afraid. I read your first post and know exactly what you are asking. My Skyliner is pretty much all original and I have no idea what Ford Motor Co used to attach those stainless items.
I'd guess that a modern (RTV?) trim adhesive would work just fine, but since I don't really know, I won't offer that as advice.

Eventually one of these restoration experts will see your post and offer some help (I hope). Sometimes it takes a while! Good luck.

Lee
04-29-2019, 09:45 PM
Thanks, droptop, good to know, I'll be patient and wait for the experts....

droptopford
05-14-2019, 08:08 AM
Eventually one of these restoration experts will see your post and offer some help...

...or not.