PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Tail Shaft Seal

Finster
02-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Hi,
I am looking for a part number to replace my Tail Shaft Seal - The seal that is at the transmission to drive shaft. I have a 1959 with a 352 engine and Cruise-o-matic transmission. I have tried Napa with no luck as each seal they give me is VERY slightly off from what I need.
Thanks

1965JNC
03-02-2019, 12:09 AM
I'm finishing up a restoration on my 59 with a 352 and a cruise-o-matic transmission. I had the entire trans rebuilt by a shop in NJ were I live. All the parts I needed to rebuild the trans came from Fasco Transmission in Pine Brook, NJ. They will have anything you need. They specialize in old cars. You can also find them in Hemmings. Been around since the 60's.
I assume your replacing the rear seal because you have a leak in the tail stock.. It might not be the rear seal. After getting my trans completely rebuilt by the transmission shop I installed my rebuilt trans and had a leak at the back of the trans. At that point in my restoration the car had no body on it so removing it wasnt a big deal. Brought it back and the shop and they changed the rear seal. Put it back in and leaked again. The shop sent a mechanic to my house and the guy changed the rear seal and the tail stock seal. I ran the engine for a while with the car on Jack so I could engage the trans. Couple of days later there was oil on the ground. The Trans shop sent me to Fasco to get more seals so they could try again. Now the owner of the trans shop and the owner of Fasco are brothers. When I went to Fasco to get the seals I mentioned to the old guy at the counter the problem I was having with my 59 cruise-o-matic.
As soon as heard my problem he said it isn't your seal. It's your tail stock. He said the tail stock on that trans has a tendency to develop a hair line crack right where the tail stock bolts to the rear trans mount.
The oil runs down and it looks like it's coming from the rear seal or the trans pan. He said what usually causes the crack is a bad motor mount. If the motor mount goes then the engines torque is concentrated on that tail stock mount and the aluminum isn't that strong so it cracks.
He had a replacement tail stock so I bought it, install it and the trans hasnt leaked a drop since.
The crack will be by the web that connects the tail stock to the tail stock transmission mount.
What ever is causing your leak Fasco will have the parts you need.

Finster
03-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the information - I will call them.